Energy Safety Tips

Below are tips to help keep you, your family and co-workers safe from energy-related hazards.

  • If anyone in your household is using life-sustaining equipment that runs on electricity, make sure that your utility and energy supplier are aware of it. They will make you a priority should there ever be an interruption in service.
     
  • Do not let anyone who says they work for your utility or energy supplier enter your home unless they have legitimate photo identification.
     
  • Replace outdoor light bulbs as soon as they burn out. A brighter home makes for a safer environment. 
     
  • Electrical cords that are frayed, worn, or severed should be replaced, not repaired. Many fires resulted from home electrical repairs. 
     
  • Don't overload electrical sockets or extension cords. Connecting too many appliances to one outlet can overheat the wires and result in fire. In fact, one of every six home fires is started by overheated wires. 

  • Do not use an indoor extension cord outdoors for any reason. It's not designed to function outdoors and represents a potential hazard. 

  • Be careful not to put flammable materials too close to electric lamps or heaters. 

  • Keep all electrical appliances away from water in sinks, tubs, or swimming pools. 

  • Never plug anything into an electrical outlet if your hands are wet. 

  • Always keep an "emergency kit" in case of a power outage. The kit should include a battery-powered radio, flashlights with supply of extra batteries, candles, and extra blankets. Make sure everyone in the family knows where the kit is kept. 

  • Keep space heaters in an area where they will not be knocked over and away from flammable materials like furniture or curtains. 

  • If a wire falls on or comes in contact with a car that you are in, do not get out or attempt to move it. The car's rubber tires will provide insulation to protect you until help arrives. 

  • If electric wires fall to the ground near your home, do not touch or go near them. Call your utility company IMMEDIATELY. 

  • Be extremely careful when using metal ladders. Be sure to position them so that there's no chance they can fall on or come in contact with electrical wires. 

  • Contact your local utility company before doing any digging on your property. There may be dangerous electrical wires or gas lines underground. 

  • If your basement becomes flooded, stay out of it until you can arrange to have the power turned off. Water conducts electricity and you could get electrocuted. 

  • Take great care to follow all manufacturer-recommended precautions when using a portable gas-powered electricity generator. Do not run such a generator indoors since the engine burns gas and emits deadly carbon-monoxide. 

  • Be extremely careful when removing trees and tree limbs on your property. If power lines are involved, call a professional tree service or your local utility. 

  • Always shut off the power at the fuse box in your home when making any electrical repairs. 

If you choose to hang holiday lights inside or outside your house, be sure not to overload outlets or extension cords. Only use extension cords made for outdoor use when hanging lights outside.

Live chat RPA